Another Rolf Beeler-affinaged cheese: Aarauer Bierdeckel, also known as Beermat, a washed-rind raw cow’s milk cheese from Canton Aargau in Switzerland. Washed in unfermented wheat beer, it brings the elements of a traditional French washed rind together with the flavors and character of a trappist beer-washed cheese.
The amber-pink B.Linens rind, spotted with dark reddish-brown patches, is thin and lightly sticky covering a yellow paste, lightly eyed, firm at first and sagging softly as the cheese warms. A musty, yeasty aroma gives way to a pleasantly yeasty-sour, nutty, rich flavor with toasted undertones and a lingering finish.
Wonderful paired with beer (naturally).
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- eathelthylop reblogged this from cheesenotes
- doodleniks likes this
- geekhyena likes this
- mrskarkatharley reblogged this from cheesenotes
- mrskarkatharley likes this
- dclxvii likes this
- hellolyssie likes this
- deborahcats likes this
- eastsidepatina likes this
- gormaya reblogged this from cheesenotes
- gormaya likes this
- 0rpheus likes this
- whatsupstairs likes this
- strangerfromanotherplanet reblogged this from cheesenotes
- cheesenotes posted this